Do you Drive into London? Are your drivers aware of the weight and height restrictions at Rotherhithe Tunnel?
There has been a sharp increase recently in drivers receiving penalty charges for not meeting the restrictions at Rotherhithe tunnel, according to Transport for London.
Enforcement officers had been present at both approaches to the tunnel since the new restrictions were introduced to assist drivers and prevent vehicles entering the tunnel that do not comply. Officers have turned away an average of 600 vehicles a day since September 2018.
Therefore, we would like to remind everyone that since February 2019, at Rotherhithe tunnel, enforcement action will be taken on vehicles that do not comply with these restrictions:
- Vehicles up to 2 metres (6'6") high
- Vehicles up to 2 metres (6'6") wide
- Goods vehicles weighing no more than 2 tonnes (gross vehicle weight)
Goods vehicles can't use Rotherhithe Tunnel if they have a gross vehicle weight of more than 2 tonnes.
Gross vehicle weight is the maximum weight that the vehicle is legally permitted to be loaded to. It is also called the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or permissible maximum weight.
To find your vehicle's GVW you can check:
- The revenue weight listed on the vehicle's log book (V5C)
- On the plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle
- With the vehicle's manufacturer
If you've received a penalty